Domestic Violence Charges in Phoenix

domestic violence charges phoenix - home

Domestic Violence Charges in Phoenix

Last Updated on

Domestic violence is a frightening offense. According to the Domestic Shelters website, “An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.” And that is just the number of cases that are reported annually. Domestic violence is one of those crimes that is frequently underreported. If you’ve been arrested on domestic violence charges in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe or Chandler, you should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. 

If you are a victim of domestic violence in Phoenix, the City of Phoenix’s website has extremely helpful information for you. 

How Does Arizona Define Domestic Violence? 

Domestic violence charges in Phoenix cover a wide array of offenses committed by one family or household member against another. Nationwide, domestic violence victims are 85% women. The remaining 15% is made up mainly of children. Dependant on the statute that was violated, the punishment for domestic violence can range from a simple misdemeanor to a serious felony charge. 

How Does Arizona Define “Family or Household Member”? 

When an individual is accused of a crime where the alleged victim is: 1) married to you, 2) shares a residence with you, 3) has been involved sexually with you, 4) is a past or current partner, or 5) is a child or family member of yours, this is considered domestic Violence in Phoenix, Chandler, Scottsdale and Tempe. 

Offenses that Constitute Domestic Violence

Pursuant to ARS §13-3601 domestic violence can be defined as a violation of any of the following statutes:

  • Endangerment
  • Threatening or intimidating
  • Assault
  • Aggravated assault
  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual assault of a minor
  • Negligent homicide
  • Manslaughter
  • 1st or 2nd-degree murder
  • Unlawful imprisonment
  • Kidnapping
  • Unlawful distribution of images
  • Custodial interference
  • Criminal trespassing
  • Criminal damage

Domestic Violence Lawyer in Phoenix

Coolidge Law Firm recognizes the distress and difficulty that come with criminal charges. With a convenient location in Chandler, our services are available to all of the residents of the metro Phoenix area, as well as throughout the state of Arizona, who wish to have their rights protected. If you’ve been arrested or reported on domestic charges in Phoenix, contact us today. Todd Coolidge is an experienced domestic violence attorney and is committed to building a strong defense.

 

Image by Pexels from Pixabay (11/30/2019)