11 Jan Domestic Violence in Arizona: False Accusations & Freedom
Domestic violence is when the victim of an alleged crime is your spouse, lives in the same residence, is a current or past partner, is involved with you sexually, or a family member or child. Needless to say, these allegations can be particularly sensitive for everyone involved.
Facing domestic violence charges is one of the most damaging, complicated and emotional legal situations you can encounter. False domestic violence accusations can have a number of consequences that can severely affect your legal standing, and that’s not even considering the emotional toll they take. On the personal end, these charges can result in relationships and friendships falling apart, job loss and a tarnished reputation. Being wrongfully accused of domestic violence in Arizona can also hurt your case when it comes to visitation rights, child custody, immigration status, divorce and criminal charges.
The key to fighting domestic violence charges is finding a qualified attorney like Certified Criminal Law Specialist Todd Coolidge. An experienced attorney will know what it takes to gather compelling evidence to support your defense against the false accusations. Mr. Coolidge will seek out and pinpoint inconsistencies with the alleged victim’s testimony.
Many times there will be warning signs that a current partner or family member is planning on falsely accusing you of domestic violence. The type of person who would do such a thing is typically emotionally unstable and may have even threatened to press false charges in the past. If this is the case, and you are worried that they may actually file the charges, there are some steps you can take to safeguard yourself from the potential harm of false domestic violence accusations.
- Consult a qualified attorney like Todd Coolidge.
- Protect your valuable belongings. Make sure your accuser isn’t able to steal your car titles, birth certificate, etc.
- Change your login information for all accounts and electronic devices.
- Notify friends and family members to try and stop them from believing the accusations and turning on you.
- If you are the victim of the abuse, but the person committing the violence against you is attempting to claim you are the abuser, gather evidence without putting yourself in danger.
If you are facing domestic violence charges in Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Mesa, or anywhere else in the valley, or think you may soon be facing them, contact Todd Coolidge immediately.
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (1/11/2016) Mark Fischer (Flickr)