22 Nov Do You Know These Thanksgiving Facts & Figures?
Whether you’re hosting Thanksgiving this year or traveling to visit friends and family, at Coolidge Law Firm, we want to wish you a happy and safe holiday. We’ve also pulled together a few interesting holiday facts and figures that you may or may not already know. Enjoy!
Origins and Traditions
- The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621.
- It wasn’t until October, 3rd 1863 that President Lincoln officially proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday.
- 1920 was the first year that NFL games were played on Thanksgiving.
- The first Macy’s Day Parade was held in 1924.
- The tradition of pardoning a turkey was first started by President George H. W. Bush on Thanksgiving day in 1989.
- More than 55 million travelers are making plans to kick off the holiday season with a trip of 50 miles or more away from home this Thanksgiving.
- 4.5 million Americans will fly to their Thanksgiving celebrations.
- Over 49 million Americans will flood the streets and highways to travel this Thanksgiving holiday.
- Approximately 430 fatal accidents happen each Thanksgiving holiday. Stay safe out there!
Family & Friends
- 96% of Americans say they celebrate Thanksgiving.
- 28% of Americans will have more than 12 people at their table.
- 22% of Americans include pets in their festivities.
- The things people are most thankful for this season are: family, health, personal freedom, friends, memories and safety.
- 88% of Americans eat turkey as a part of their Thanksgiving meal.
- 57% of families enjoy pumpkin pie, 14% enjoy pecan pie, and 9% enjoy sweet potato pie.
- 73% of Americans say that leftovers are the best part about Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving from Coolidge Law!